Types of Intellectual Property
- Patents (inventions, methods of manufacturing, design)
- Trademarks (“TM”, puts the world on notice about your business): these are national through the Trademark Office; otherwise it will be local.
- Copyrights (right to print, publish, perform, film, or record): these protect you immediately
- Trade secrets (customer list, protected against misappropriation)
How expensive is intellectual property?
- Trade secrets: secrets cost nothing…you just have to keep them!
- Copyright: a single copyright can be as little as $35.
- Trademark: approximately $275 (and depends on industry)
- Patent: it can start at $130, but go all the way up to $700
Before you do anything [re: Intellectual Property], always do a quick Google search. – Camille Wilson